Shrewsbury was incorporated in 1667 and is 16 years older than Monmouth County itself. It was named after Shrewsbury in England, the original home of many of the area's settlers. The Township of Shrewsbury was created in 1693, the Borough of Shrewsbury in 1926.
The 30 acres surrounding the intersection of Sycamore Avenue and Broad Street are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The red painted Allen House at that corner was an inn during Colonial times. Travelers used to stop at the Allen House for an overnight stay on the trek between New York and Philadelphia. The historic handwritten registers at the Allen House show the famous names who stayed there as well as insight in to the lodging and operations of an 18th century inn.
Shrewsbury students attend one elementary school on Broad Stret and Red Bank Regional High School in Little Silver.