Location: Monmouth Beach is bordered by Long Branch to the south, Sea Bright to the north, the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Shrewsbury River to the west
Size: 1.1 square miles
Population: 3,664 (2004 county estimate)
The growth of Monmouth Beach begins with hotels: the Ocean House (1842), the Octagon Hotel (1879) and the five-level Peninsula House (1881).
The Church of the Precious Blood, 72 Riverdale Ave., was erected in 1893 by shipbuilders like an upside-down ship. The church began as a mission of Star of the Sea in Long Branch and became a full parish in 1947.
The Volunteer Fire Company organized in 1905 and in March 1906, Monmouth Beach seceded from Ocean Township and was incorporated.
The Monmouth Beach Board of Education was organized in 1906. A borough hall was erected in 1917 and in 1922, a post office was established at Beach Road and Riverdale Avenue.
The Channel Club, a restaurant and marina, opened in 1945.
Highlights, activities, events
The town has an elementary school for kindergarten through eighth grade.
Small as it is, Monmouth Beach has cultural activities fit for larger municipalities. Borough officials had the foresight to petition the state to allow the borough to convert a former Coast Guard station on Ocean Avenue to a Cultural Center. The Center, open Wednesdays through Saturdays, hosts art and photography exhibits.
Seasonal visitors are sent off on the Saturday after Labor Day with an annual Kids Day, featuring rides and games for children in Griffin Park, and culminating with a fireworks display at the borough Bathing Pavilion.