Sea Girt is a seaside town with an old-fashioned boardwalk, large homes with beautifully landscaped lawns and a historic lighthouse.
Location: North of Manasquan and south of Spring Lake
Size: one square mile
In 1869, by act of the state Legislature, the Sea Girt Land Improvement Co. was created. The corporation was instrumental in bringing the railroad to Sea Girt in 1875. The first station was constructed in concrete made from sand from the beach. In 1903, a trolley road was run through the length of the track, according to the borough Web site.
In 1887, the state paid $51,000 for 120 acres for the purpose of establishing a permanent camp for the New Jersey National Guard. The lands were again annexed to Sea Girt in 1939. The camp was established as a summer capital of New Jersey where the governors spent the warm months until the World War II. It was here that Woodrow Wilson learned of his nomination for president.
By the last quarter of the 19th century, Sea Girt was developing into a summer resort, as it primarily remained until after World War II, when its present year-round residential character emerged.
In 1895, United States government obtained land at the beach to build a lighthouse. The borough bought the lighthouse in 1956 for $11,000 and maintained it until 1981, when it was leased to the lighthouse citizens committee for $1 per year.
Sea Girt broke away from Wall Township in 1917.
Highlights, activities, events
Annual events include the Sea Girt 5K in August, which attracts people from all over Monmouth County. The borough hosts a Memorial Day Parade, an Easter egg hunt and a Christmas tree-lighting.
The Sea Girt Lighthouse at the north end of Ocean Avenue is recognized as the last lighthouse built on the East Coast. Operational since 1896, the lighthouse is one of only 20 that remain in New Jersey. The lighthouse served as a command center for rescue efforts in 1934 when the luxury cruise ship Morro Castle burned off the coast. In 1956, the lighthouse was sold to the Coast Guard.